Monday, November 1, 2010

Hi, my name is Mallorie and I have commitment issues.

First, let me start with a disclaimer: I've been the lamest blogger on the planet. No, really. I have. You see, this last week I was sick and don't say again. I know. I get sick and loose my voice every six weeks. I know it's not normal. I know you're sick of hearing it, but it's the honest to goodness truth. Ask anyone who talked to me in the last seven days. I sounded like a 2 pack a day smoker and my throat felt like it was on fire. In fact, it still does. I know that my usually interesting, entertaining and fantastic blog has been boring, stale and disappointing. Here is my formal, written apology. And that's all you're going to get.

Now that I've taken care of that, on to my actual post. You might think I'm joking, but I'm 110% serious. I don't have commitment issues when it comes to friends. Jobs. My major. My family. No, I have commitment issues when it comes to money. (Sorry if you were tuning in to get some juicy relationship details. No such luck.) Really I do. See, here's the story and it starts with Ernie. Yes, my car. See, Ern had served me well. He was a trouper. Remember that time that I accidentally backed into that guy at the Creamery on 9th because I was on the phone with Aubrie? And it was raining and when I went to pull forward so we could see if I had crunched his car, my foot slipped and I hit the gas instead of the break and crunched Ernie against another car? Yeah, Ern remembered. His poor left side remembered. He was my first car. He survived dance parties, angry drives up the canyon and the Barrett kids' fascination with his non-power locks and windows. But all good things come to an end, as unfortunate as that is. Though Ernest had been a fantastic little car, it was time that I got a car which had been made in this century. So Saturday, my fantastic daddy, Kylee and I went car shopping. 
It was love at first sight with Fitz. 
No really. It was. 
He was red. And shinny. He has a CD player and when I push on the gas he doesn't sound like he's going to keel over and die. But the problem was that Fitz, well, he's kind of pricey, only being made last year. But honestly, anything was pricey compared to Ernie. Ern was paid off, and the idea of having a monthly commitment for my money scared the bejeezes out of me. I love being able to run over to Gap and just buy clothes. To buy lunch of my friends whenever the idea hits me. I love going to the movies 3 nights in a row because just because I can. Or just letting my money sit there, safe and sound in my bank account (do you see the issue?) While I knew full well that Ern wasn't going to make it up the mondo hill to the U in the winter, he was safe. I didn't have to plan out a couple hundred dollars a month in order to keep him around. While I was signing my life away, Kylee kept asking me if I was excited and all I could do was give her a weak smile. Making a 5 year commitment? To stick with one car? What if I move to New York? What if I decide to go to grad school in Turkey? (Just an example...) Lucky for me, my wise little sister reminded me that I probably won't be moving to Turkey and I REALLY need a new car. So sign my life away I did. And now I'm the owner of this:

( Models were used in this shoot.)

Isn't he cute?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oooooh. He' pretty. :D Congrats! *cringe*

Annette said...

Nice and shiny....I'm jealous. He's a lucky guy :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails