Thursday, March 18, 2010

"A book should leave you slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it."

Alright friends of the blog world. I need your help. While talking to a good friend last night, the subject of excellent books that we read when we were younger came up. We decided that we would each make a list for the other of our favorite childhood books and then exchange them. SO. The great unanswered question is this: What books do I put on my list? (Sara, this isn't cheating. It's helpful hints. And you can't comment because you have to make your own list.)

Here's what I've got so far:

-Harriet the Spy
-The Westing Game
-From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Franweiler
-The Phantom Tollbooth
-Doll House Murders
-The BFG
-An Old Fashioned Girl
-Bridge to Terabithia
-Number the Stars
-Stargirl
-Holes
-Catherine, Called Birdy
-A Wrinkle in Time
-The Egypt Game
-My Brother Sam is Dead
-Walk Two Moons
-Maniac Magee 
-The Chocolate Touch
-Beauty
-Tuck Everlasting
-Charlotte's Web
-Castle in the Attic
-The Shoes Books by Noel Steatfield

This post actually requires a comment, so if you read, please leave your suggestions at the beep....



14 comments:

Kaylea said...

dear god, it's me margaret. my teacher told me to read it in 5th grade and i looooved it.

Chelsea said...

The Upside Down Class at Third Street School. or something like that. And the Mrs. Pigglewiggle series.

Chelsea said...

Ps. I love stalking your blog. Its awesome.

Sherry said...

How could you not include The Giver by Lois Lowry?

And I truly loved Sideways Stories from Wayside School and its sequels by Louis Sachar.

zerolisteners said...

Where the Red Fern Grows, just get your tissue box ready :)

Unknown said...

umm...hello, the babysitter's club.

whether or not it was great literary fiction it was a vital part of our childhood friendship.

excellent list!

Amy said...

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Patterson and Nobody's Girl by Hector H. Malot. I read those books about a millon times each. To this day they are among my favorites.

And I love your list. So many great classics. I am proud of you for listing such great books.

Kim said...

I love The Boxcar Children... and I second The Giver.

Karlie and the kids said...

Don't forget about your local scholastic provider if you decide you would like to buy some of these books ;)

Malinda said...

Oh my goodness! I love this idea! Ok here are some that I thought of that I don't think have been mentioned yet...
Anne of Green Gables
Summer of the Monkeys
The Cay
The Golden Goblet
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Nancy Drew
American Girl
The Witch of Blackbird Pond

Also here are some I read when I was older but would have loved when I was younger but due to the fact that I never knew about them...or the fact that they had yet to be written! Ella Enchanted, Howl's Moving Castle, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Princess Academy, and The Forest Wife!

Natalie said...

Chronicles of Narnia (my favorite)
Anything by Roald Dahl: James and the Giant Peach, Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...
Tom Sawyer

Emily said...

i just joined "goodbooks" and am currently reading juvenile fiction. love it. i'm reading the sequel to freak the mighty. i'm kindof in love with them. and then i'm reading where the red fern grows for the first time! i'm excited. aaaand i need good books to read this summer while i'm in DC, so send suggestions my way!!

Liz said...

skinnybones. hands down. i third the giver. and ella enchanted.

Jinous said...

Sarah Plain and Tall,is an excellent book. Still one of my favorites to read. Another one is Skylark, which is in relation to Sarah Plain and Tall. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails