Saturday, April 24, 2010

Takin' It Easy...

...which is not a description of what I've been, or will be any time soon, doing. It's the title of an Eagles song. This particular song reminds me of my daddy. He has this talent of whistling through his teeth that no matter how hard I try to do this, I can't. Anyway, when I was younger I remember driving in the car with him, the windows rolled down and the Eagles, or The Doors, or YES!, or Supertramp (you get the idea) blaring as loudly as Daddy could get it without blowing out our eardrums. You see, my dad is a HUGE music guru. That's where I get it. Anyway, my dad wanted to pass on this incredible knowledge along to his oldest daughter so he would quiz me: "Which band is this?" "What's the name of the song?" "What  year did it come out?" "Name 3 other songs by this band." I distinctly remember one evening driving home with the padres and asking my mom if she would let me have a friend spend the night. She said that she was fine with it, but only if it was alright with the supreme ruler (i.e. my dad) as well. PAUSE. There's more that you need to understand about my padre. He's sarcastic. If you know me and you've ever wondered where I get my ability to keep a straight face while mocking you, I get it from my totally awesome father. PLAY. My dear father turns to me and says, "Squirt, I'll let you have a sleepover if you can tell me the name of the band singing the next three songs on the radio." I immediately start to whine. We were listening to Arrow 103.5 and I had not adequately prepared for this difficult test. My mom tried to talk some sense into my crazy, music obsessed father. "Steve. Give her a break. Come on. At least flip the radio channel or something." But my dear father was unrelenting. "Nope. She has to do it." Lucky for me, I'm fairly certain the playlist went something like this: The Doors: Hello, I Love You, Billy Joel: Piano Man, and last but not least (a personal favorite of mine) Styx: Renegade. Needless to say, I got my sleepover. And there's now an entire playlist on my iPod dedicated to my daddy's music. Blast from the Past here I come...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the Eagles. The Doors. and Yes!

One of my all time favorite songs is "Hello I love you. Won't you tell me your name?"

excellent.

Related Posts with Thumbnails